Saturday, November 7, 2009

November 7th Update

Something I forgot to mention is that they started the girls on antibiotics last night. They don't show signs of infection but they want to make sure they don't get one. Babies like this go downhill real fast if they get an infection.

Spoke with doctors tons today. The neonatalogist feels that the girls are not stable enough to handle the stimulus of being held. He just wants them to be able to conserve all their energy for breathing. So, for the next several days we can touch but can't hold. It's not easy!!!

Olivia is doing really well today. She started opening her eyes and really checking out her environment and looking at me when I'd talk and looking right at Zac when he talks. It was fabulous.

Addison is struggling. Her respirations are really high and often hard to get her to calm down. If her respirations don't calm down through the evening they are going to transfer the 3 of us to their downtown hospital where their NICU is a higher level. We will see how that all goes.

Chest x rays today show that it's definitely not a fluid in the lungs issue. It's respiratory distress syndrome, meaning that their lungs were not mature when they were born and not producing the "oil" needed to breathe adequately. So, it is officially due to us having them too early. Hard pill to swallow but slowly starting to release myself from the guilt. Surfactant ("oil") can be given if they don't improve in the next couple days. But right now the doctor thinks they will start producing their own in the next day or so.

Girls are still being fed through an IV and won't be able to feed through bottle or breast until they are off of oxygen. I will get some pictures of the girls soon. The one's posted first were prior to us realizing there were problems. It's nice to look at those pictures and see them without all the tubes and monitor cords. Zac went out to get some fresh air today and came back with the most fabulous gift. He'd taken those 2 pictures and bought a frame to put them in. So, now I can look at them on my bedside table anytime I want. He also put one together for him.

Okay, last but not least. The doctor says to anticipate the girls being here until what would have been 40 weeks in utero. So, we can reasonably expect them to be here for 2-3 weeks. It's going to be a long 2-3 weeks. Zac will go back to work. There's no point in him using all his vacation time while they are in the hospital. He will save it so we can use it when the girls come home. This hospital has a room that I can stay in for free and will allow me to eat meals here without charge (insurance pays) since I'm breastfeeding.

This is going to be a long road........all your prayers are greatly appreciated. Zac is being so strong in all of this but I frequently feel like I'm on the verge of falling apart. I think I will get emotionally stronger as I get physically stronger. Dealing with the emotions of NICU and dealing with the recovery of major surgery are not a great combination.

7 comments:

  1. Zac and Dana, we are praying for you constantly. We know you all will get through this just fine, but we wish the road didn't have to be so bumpy.

    with love,
    Ben, Jenny and Jude

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zac and Dana; I'm sorry you are having to go through this time with the girls in NICU. It sounds like they have some great doctors and it's amazing that if they do have to transfer the girls to another hospital that they would take you with them. I'm also sorry that you are looking at the girls being hospitalized for another 2 to 3 weeks. I will definately keep them in my prayers but will also be requesting my church and family to be praying for their quick healing and your healing also from the delivery. Hang in there, God IS in control even when everything seems out of control. In His Love, Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. The girls are going to be fine, You did amazing at carrying them as far as you did. its going to be hard, but you two are great parents already, hang in there. We are all sending prayers your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thinking of u and girls honey xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lots of warm thoughts and prayers your way....hugs too! I'll be watching everyday.

    Sue P.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm keeping you and the girls in my thoughts and prayers. Please don't be so hard on yourself. I'm glad you are able to stay close to the girls. I hope they will grow stronger and will go home with you soon. Sending lots of love your way.

    Sheree

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dana and Zac, Addison and Olivia,
    We are keeping you all in prayer. Immanuel prayed for you this morning, too. Many, many prayer warriors out there for your family!
    Kresha

    ReplyDelete